Strawberries and Crème is one of my favorite desserts. It brings me back to my childhood and reminds me of the days where we had unlimited supply of strawberries and bananas. I used to mix sour cream, sugar and diced strawberries in a bowl and eat them while watching TV.
Strawberries and crème are the perfect dish to start teaching your kids their way around the kitchen because, how hard is it to clean strawberries? plus, you can slice them and dice them with a dull butter knife!
I had been thinking lately about a more upscale way to prepare this simple dessert, so for this recipe I substituted the sour cream for greek yogurt, the sugar for honey and to knock it out of the park, I tossed the berries in a spiced red wine reduction.
I am a big fan of Massala Chai and I wanted to incorporate those flavors into the dessert but I also wanted the strawberries to be the star of the dish so I made a red wine reduction and added sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and fennel seeds to the making of it. The result was a spiced, sweet red wine syrup that you can use on almost any dessert. I imagine it over ice cream, pound cake, fruit salad and even pork chops.
- 1½ cups Red Wine
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Cardamom Pods
- Pinch of Fennel Seeds
- ½ inch slice Ginger
- ½ pound Strawberries
- ¼ cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- In a medium pot, bring wine, sugar, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods (broken), fenel seed and ginger to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and boil until well reduced, about 15 minutes
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer and discard the solids. Let syrup cool to room temperature
- Chop strawberries into quarters, transfer to a large bowl with syrup and toss to coat
- Transfer berries to individual plates
- Stir honey into greek yogurt and spoon over berries
- Drizzle leftover red wine syrup
How do you pimp up your strawberries and crème?