Broccoli Rabe or Rapini is a type of bitter green. Think of it as a hybrid between broccoli and turnip greens but despite its name, it does not taste like broccoli at all. The greens have a pungent, bitter flavor that is not particularly popular in America but when cooked right and paired with the right ingredients, broccoli rabe is delicious and this pizza is not the exception, in fact, if you don’t like rapini at all, give this pizza a try and I am sure it will change your mind.
Broccoli rabe is a very good source of potassium and vitamins A and C. It is getting a lot of attention in gourmet restaurants lately. Chefs are coming up with new uses and creating recipes to highlight it, from frying, steaming and braising it to creating soups and salads.
Personally, the flavor of the greens combined with a runny, creamy egg yolk is the bomb! They tricky part is to make sure to not overcook the egg while baking your pizza. I always recommend to bake pizzas at 500 degrees F, with that in mind, the optimal baking time for this pizza is 6 minutes. When you take the pizza out of the oven the egg will not be completely set but the carry over heat will finish cooking the whites while the yolk will still be runny. Remember that all ovens are different so you will have to keep an eye on your pizza the first time you make it.
If you use our pizza dough recipe, one ball will yield two individual pizzas. Making individual pizzas for this particular recipe is better because each person will have their own egg, on their own pizza on their own plate. Believe me, you don’t want other people stealing your yolk!
- 1 bunch Broccoli Rabe
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil, divided
- 4 cloves Garlic
- ½ medium Shallot
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 (11.5 oz) Pizza Dough Balls
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese
- 4 Eggs
- Cut off and discard the tough ends of the broccoli rabe. Cut the rest of into 2-inch pieces, rinse and drain well
- Chop garlic and dice shallots. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet, add the garlic and shallots and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown
- Add broccoli rabe and pepper flakes to the skillet, season with salt and pepper and cook, covered, over medium to low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally until stalks are al dente, reserve
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Divide each pizza dough ball into two equal portions. Flour surface and roll out pizza dough until it reaches 12"
- Spread 1 teaspoon of olive oil on each pizza, top with ½ cup of cheese and broccoli rabe. Crack an egg in the center of the pizza being careful to not break the yolk. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 6 minutes and serve